Well I have been gone 90 days now. What have I learned so far. Iraq is mostly dirt. Iraq has a unique odor that is not all that plesant. The flys are ruthless. And they are not evan out in full swing. Winter is freezing and it snows. It is only march and it is already starting to get HOT. I find my self all the time thinking " what was I thinking????" I am still thankful for the oppertunity to be here. I am more thankful everyday that home is the United States of America. I talk to our troops everyday and walk away think we are privliged as a nation to have such great men and women defending us. They know bombs and guns won't provide education which it the only way to achieve freedom and peace. They all say the same thing when I ask what they want to remember most. They talk about the schools they built, the play grounds they put were insurgents used to keep victims. They talk about how when the American flag shows up People Run to it. We are still the beacon of hope. People run up to our troop evan when it is a bad idea. Like when they are conducting combat operations. Imagine walking around with a loaded gun look for bad guys to kill, and having locals run up and ask them to help the sick children, or the kids wanting candy, or a hole list of other things. I am not sure what is more amazing that people would run up to our troops while they are on a combat mission or that the troops stop and help. The example they set is probably what will achieve final peace if it is to be achived. I hope Dina and I can some day return here as teachers. And that we will have the chance to teach the talants the God gave us so richly. If not here I am hoping to go somewere were we can put our talant to work. I have applied for every promotion that is at a diffrent base. I hope I can travle around to more interesting bases. But I will go were God wants me.
May is now 2 months away. I really am looking forward to going home for 10 days. My puppies need attention. Dina picks on them all the time. They have rules and eat dog food. The poor babies I think they are losing weight. My grand babies need someone to pick one them. I am scared of Steph so I will duck and cover were she is concerned. Phillip and Anna have to be straghtned out to. They have problems. I love and miss everyone so espacially My wounderful wife Dina (AKA Chickenlittle)
All my love Jim
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Jim,
You blow me away. You have changed so much. I love all the Jim's the crazy one, the serious one, and the new one.
Cindy
Dear Jim,
I am so proud of you. Going to Iraq is not what I had in mind for you. When I visited you and saw you with your beautiful family and friends, that is what I wanted for you. However, I know that God only lent you to me to raise for His honor and glory so I accept His plan for you. Your love of God and compassion for the less fortunate really touches my heart. You know you are always in my thoughts and in my prayers.
I received my Hickory Farms catalogue yesterday so that will be your next package.
I'm going to Eric's 2nd birthday on Saturday. It's being held at Chunky Cheese, that should be fun. I like their pizza.
Mom
I love that phrase "beacon of hope". We hear the word hope tossed around alot these days, with no real meaning attached to it. But the military and it's flag is a beacon of hope, for they have effected freedom of choice and responsibility for those who want it. Thanks for writing, and can't wait to see you in May!
Jim,
I read your blog nearly ever day. I try to contribute information you many find interesting. Here is one about Eric. Sandie was shaving with a razor. Eric kept telling his mom "My turn share". Sandie is a fabulous mother. Me and mom just sit back and compare what is ahead of her. Mom put it the best many years ago "Little people, little problems. Big people big problems". How in the devil has our species gone on so long?
Recently we had a real issue with LJ and guns. I hand no idea that we had 3 loaded guns in the house. I will not bore you with the details. No one was hurt and he had not intention of hurting anyone. He just wanted to be able to protect me. But anyway Officer Ernie now has the guns. He really wanted the magnum which was issued to Larry by the police force when he was an officer. What I didn't know was the smallest gun that looked like a toy, could have injured the worst.
Do you thinkit is an accident that two of my very best friends are Hope and Faith?
Love you
Cindy
Hey Jim,
That's awesome to hear about the troops in Iraq. I hope you are keeping safe. The green zones are still trepidatious from what I hear.
I finally got rid of my Toyota and got a Honda Civic.
Your Friend,
Jeff Gosnell
Jim,
Eric update! He had his 2nd birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese. I am glad my Chuck E Cheese days are over.
LJ has been sick for 2 days. He at one point the thermometer indicated "HI" which means in excess of 105. He is doing better now.
Do you use sunscreen?
Good luck on straightening Anna out. I will take a vacation when you attempt that one. As for me you already know I am a lost cause. Hey I would really like a souveneir. Lets see what do they have that I could use dirt or flies? Dirt of flies? Oh I know how about an m249 from one of your military buddies. I promise I will play nice
Post a Comment